Asset Management - A testing case study
A service provider of the global company which is a premier provider of home, home office, and business products, as well as industrial solutions that revolutionize the way we live and work.
Offering software and hardware solutions for Partners and End-users, including ISV, SI, VAR, government re-sellers, corporate re-sellers, national and regional retailers…
Focus on high-value and critical industry verticals, including:
- Banking and finance, insurance.
- Energy, telecommunication.
- Government and public sector.
Demanding to verify and validate an integrated Asset Management System. This system consist of a web application for planning and managing asset and a mobile web application being run on both iOS and Andriod for performing asset status audits. The project needs to go live in 2 months from the time they need testing activities, and following are the highlight challenges:
- The system was a new development that caused many changes to the features. In addition, testing team and development is distributed.
- No time to write the software documentation from development team.
- Little budget for testing activities
- Pressure from stakeholders to go live in very short time
- Almost 99.9% functions are NOT tested
- Test on multiple devices for both Android and iOS
- User-friendly is an important requirement but vague
MeU Solutions decided to apply Context Driven Testing combined using test tools (developed by MeU Solutions) to gain efficiency in learning and exploring & testing the product on both desktop web and mobile application.
- A team of expert testers on both manual testing and using tools to test decided to apply Context Driven Testing which focused on testing while playing, exploring; less documentation and leverage all resources (tools, log file, devices) to test.
- Testing team together MeU Solutions R&D to quickly develop a tool called Click2Play to record and playback all test activities on the mobile application. And using Exploratory Tracker tool (developed by MeU Solutions) to capture tester’s actions for Desktop Web application. Click2Play was developed in parallel with testing execution.
- Team conducted a session (2 hours) to analyze product coverage outline-PCO (It is important to communicate with client on product knowledge and support test strategy), product risks, market analysis on using device and OS version (to identify and propose suitable devices and OS version) and define the testing strategy based on Heuristics Testing Strategy Model.
- PCO is cover all aspects of product like functions, data, interface (for user-friendly), time
- With know-how of product, the testing team generated many test charters to cover at max PCO. Test charters were rated from Low to High as its priority with client’s agreement.
- For primary platforms, all charters needed to cover elements of PCO. But other ones, only charters for sanity and compatibility tests
- The Testing team with pairwise testing to perform test charters with using One2Explore
- Debriefing for each test session to identify improvements and missing/ untouching areas during active session executed.
- Leverage innovative/ famous tools to perform and manage test efficiently: Test Management, Defect Tracking System with Jira; Product Coverage Outline with Xmind, One2Explore (MeU’s IP)-an innovative exploratory testing tool that produces detailed step-by- step recording, automatically records all test execution environment data and user interactions on desktop, web or mobile apps; status report with Testing Dashboard.
- The test team has completed test this product within 6 sessions of testing.
- Several critical/ major defects were found and appreciated by Dev in the 2nd session. These defects were suggested develop to change the way they coded.
- Product risk assessment was provided by test team to product team which supported management team to have the whole view of product quality healthy; and finally, product is go-live as the expectation with high quality.